“The unexamined life is not worth living” was apparently uttered by Socrates. That is why while I count myself strongly in the atheist camp I love the celebration of Yom Kippur with my family. At very least once a year I get to sit down and reflect on events that happened to me, on my response to those events, on things that I have accomplished, on behaviours that I need to improve upon. I get to set my expectations for myself and my closest people and ask them to forgive me for my shortcomings. On that note as I stand here today these things I find necessary:
- I am always attentive to the troubles and victories of people closest to me. I offer a suggestion if one is expected of me. That’s the most essential part of being present in lives of people that are close to me.
- I am willing to argue only over the things that are important to me. I will negotiate a long term arrangement, but will not abandon my conviction as long as I feel it is important.
- I believe that I would love to dwell and work at the center of a larger city. It might be an illusion, but the energy draws me in immensely.
- I always strive to give a reason to people closest to me to love me unconditionally. Always give them unconditional love in return.
- I have a brain of a geek that knows that he needs to know more. I need people that are my tribe in that regard with all consequences that come out of this.
- I do hypothesize a lot, but I am only happy when I follow through on my promises to myself.
- I am externally motivated and I am aware of that, so I pick circumstances that will motivate me to accomplish what I want to get done.
- I need interesting physical activities, pedal in events with my wife and family, race in a pool with my son, work out my body to achieve goals. Do yoga to feel connected with myself whenever I can.
- Coffee, water, wine, scotch, stretching, sleep, good food prepared from scratch. Find the right balance, repeat as necessary.
“May I never be complete. May I never be content. May I never be perfect.”
― Chuck Palahniuk,
Enough features have been included for this to be an MVP. I am shipping this one.